3 Coca tea bags
1 cup reduced-fat cream cheese.
1 spoon of finely-minced fresh chives.
½ Spoon of finely minced basil.
1 dash of hot chili (locoto* en polvo).
1 dash of salt.
- Place tea bags in a heat-proof glass or ceramic container that holds more than 1 cup.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a not-quite boil and remove from heat immediately. (Water that has come to a boil should be cooled for about one minute before using.)
- Pour water over tea bags and allow the tea to steep for five minutes.
- Remove tea bags, squeeze out liquid and discard. Save 1 for later.
- Allow tea to cool to room temperature. If not using immediately, refrigerate (covered) until ready to use.
- Allow refrigerated tea to come to room temperature before using.
- Place cheese and minced herb in a blender and mix on medium to incorporate herbs into the cheese and ½ the content of one coca tea bag, continue blending until mixture is smooth.
- Add salt and the locoto* you can make it as spicy as you want.
- Gradually add small amounts of the tea concentrate until the mixture is spreadable, as desired. Remaining concentrate can be diluted and reheated to make iced or hot tea for drinking, or stored, chilled, for another use.
- Transfer the coca tea-cream-cheese mixture to a covered container and refrigerate for at least one hour to allow flavors to meld.
- Bring mixture back to room temperature before using as a spread for toasted bagels or bread at breakfast; a spread for crackers, melbas, sandwiches, or wraps; or as a dip for vegetable crudités and toasted tortilla chips. Delicious!