Monday, November 27, 2006

Coca Tea , Please?... II
Caffeine Intolerance

(email From Bill)

For well over 40 years I have been addicted to caffeine. I had to have 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning before work, Coca Cola with lunch and dinner and a glass of ice tea by my side all day - even in winter. About 3 years ago I suddenly developed a severe intolerance to caffeine that sent me to the emergency room. It took several weeks to recover from the withdrawal symptoms as I had no choice but to quit "cold turkey." I really missed my caffeine. I missed the very act of drinking coffee but there was no going back now. That experience is one I hope to never repeat. I began a search for a suitable substitute and found that nearly everything had caffeine in it - even decaf tea and coffee had more caffeine than my system would tolerate. Green tea, black tea, white tea, yerba mate and even hot cocoa all had caffeine. Then I ran across the website MYSTERIOUS BOLIVIA and became intrigued with the idea of trying coca mate as a replacement for my morning coffee. A search of the Internet revealed that the beneficial effects of coca were much the same as those for the much touted green tea but, most important of all, it contained no caffeine. I had lived in Bolivia way back in the 1960s as a Peace Corps volunteer and had occasionally used coca leaf to sooth stomach cramps - something quite common to foreigners in that country. I had always thought the importation of coca leaves into the U.S. was illegal. I Emailed off an order and Carol had the coca mate in my mail box in no time at all. Once again I am enjoying a hot beverage with my breakfast. I still miss that jolt caffeine provided each morning but find that coca mate really does fill that missing gap in my life.

Bill in El Paso
"The purpose of life is to have a life with purpose." "The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave with a pretty and well preserved body, but to slide in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally exhausted and loudly exclaiming . . . . . . WOW! What a ride!"

No comments: